User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Showing results 16 to 30 of 36

Thread: Preamps

Redemtion
    Quote Originally Posted by Ty T. YT
    I have a Peavey RQ200 mixer (I have a cheap set up at home), it has built in preamps and doesn't add warmth to my vocals. The reason your Focusrite "preamp" adds warmth is beacuse it has extra processing on it to do so a.k.a. "tube sound" to duplicate the sound of tube/analog equipment (which is where I get the ditch you computer if you want that sound... an extremist and sarcastic comment). The actual preamp in a Focusrite is simply boosting the signal, if it actually added warmth they wouldn't need to add the extra processing to do so. Like I said, I'm guessing Redemtion's mixer already has preamps on it (i.e. do you have a Gain knob?), if so he really doesn't need a preamp because he'll have decent levels when he's recording. But hey, if he wants to go shell out an extra $100 or so for some equipment he doesn't really need, that he thinks will help his sorry ass sound better, he can go ahead.

I'm seriously just trying to save kids money cause people on this site always seem gung ho about shelling out $$$ for equipment to kids who blow ass and whose source of income is their $5 weekly allowance.
    I agree on some that you said but not all of it. Yes the focusrite is expensive and is a built processer and pre at the same time but still some pre amps specifically are to excite the hi, mids, and lows in the frequency. I may be wrong but i'm sure on half. Now my mixer....it doesnt contain preamps on it. If you dont believe me then go read on yourself....my mixer is the Behringer Eurorack UB1002 Mixer. Somethin I want is what the Bluetube pre brings. Aswell I fix to get decent gear nuttin shitty.

And my sorry ass sound better?....for your info i'm runnin a small biz for my studio to local heads to get me money...and im fixin a demo...need more warmth on the record then I finish touch it with mixin.

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins
    Quote Originally Posted by Redemtion
    Yeah I heard about that pre sonus blue...ratings are well also for it. Good look yo.....

next question....how do you run your pre amp off your mixer?....connections from mic to pre amp..to mixer...to pc?
    u dont need a mixer at all. u run the preamp to the soundcard.

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins
    Quote Originally Posted by Ty T. YT
    I have a Peavey RQ200 mixer (I have a cheap set up at home), it has built in preamps and doesn't add warmth to my vocals. The reason your Focusrite "preamp" adds warmth is beacuse it has extra processing on it to do so a.k.a. "tube sound" to duplicate the sound of tube/analog equipment (which is where I get the ditch you computer if you want that sound... an extremist and sarcastic comment). The actual preamp in a Focusrite is simply boosting the signal, if it actually added warmth they wouldn't need to add the extra processing to do so. Like I said, I'm guessing Redemtion's mixer already has preamps on it (i.e. do you have a Gain knob?), if so he really doesn't need a preamp because he'll have decent levels when he's recording. But hey, if he wants to go shell out an extra $100 or so for some equipment he doesn't really need, that he thinks will help his sorry ass sound better, he can go ahead.

I'm seriously just trying to save kids money cause people on this site always seem gung ho about shelling out $$$ for equipment to kids who blow ass and whose source of income is their $5 weekly allowance.
    so basicly u give bad advise to people who u believe arent worth the money for equipment? Well, I'll keep giving consistant advice no matter how good you are at recording. Besides what youre saying is still wrong... or atleast it makes little sense. My MBox costed me $300. It has 2 focusrite preamps and a 48K/24bit A/D converter with a 24 bit spdif output. Not to mention it comes with protools and is designed to work seamlessly with the program. I wouldnt call that expensive at all. It has the same preamps that the $10,000 Digidesign pro equipment has. It is one of the cheapest solidstate preamps on the market and it adds warmth to the vocals. A $50 ART preamp adds warmth to the vocals. If the cheapest solidstate and tube preamps add warmth to the vocals then what preamp did you buy that doesnt? You have a cheap mixer with 6 cheap preamps on it. The preamps on a cheap mixer are secondary to having multiple inputs. Those preamps are cheaper than the cheapest stand alone preamp you can buy. THAT is why your preamp doesnt add warmth. Thats why your vocals sound as dry as when I used the mic input on my audigy 2 plat.

Ive worked in pro studios with pro engineers and any one of them would laugh in your face if you said a preamp doesn't add warmth. People buy different preamps because they like the different warmth each one adds. Like I said, if preamps just boosted the level there would be no reason to buy a stand alone preamp in a studio with a mixer. Go to a prto studio and see how many engineers actually use the preamps on the mixer.

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins
    Quote Originally Posted by Redemtion
    I agree on some that you said but not all of it. Yes the focusrite is expensive and is a built processer and pre at the same time but still some pre amps specifically are to excite the hi, mids, and lows in the frequency. I may be wrong but i'm sure on half. Now my mixer....it doesnt contain preamps on it. If you dont believe me then go read on yourself....my mixer is the Behringer Eurorack UB1002 Mixer. Somethin I want is what the Bluetube pre brings. Aswell I fix to get decent gear nuttin shitty.

And my sorry ass sound better?....for your info i'm runnin a small biz for my studio to local heads to get me money...and im fixin a demo...need more warmth on the record then I finish touch it with mixin.
    ur mixer does have a preamp. it has a cheap one that just boosts the level and nothing more.

shut up stupid!
    Battle Record
    1-0
    well i'm educated now that ...opey... posted....it makes sence to me now....dang i'm idot for buying beringer mixer....i'ma try to sell it

peace

Redemtion
    Quote Originally Posted by ...OpeY...
    ur mixer does have a preamp. it has a cheap one that just boosts the level and nothing more.
    Ahh..okay...so do you recommend I sell my mixer and get somthin new with that cash or keep it for the hell of it? Cause if the pre i'm planning to get is all I need for the warmth etc. then really no sense in havin a mixer...correct or nah?

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins
    sell the mixer. put the cash toward a preamp.

Conflicting
    i have a berringer mixer to, god damn, we all fucking suck dick
    Last edited by Conflicting; November 19th, 2004 at 06:17 PM

I see you lookin.. stupid Brandon Heat's Avatar
    Awards 25+ Wins
    I have a presonus tube pre... have had it for like 4-5 months... I've never had a problem with it... it was 100... they also have a condensor, pre, eq set up full rack set up for 300... it's dope as fuck... no signal loss...
    AlieNation
    ..GrindHouse..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

we see you Cock-A-Roaches looking...

Coming Soon

Redemtion
    ^^^ Word?....what would be better the presonus tube or the blue tube?

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins
    ^blue tube.

Redemtion
    Aight yo good shit....thanks alot guys much appreciated.

dj_fade_out
    Ive worked in pro studios with pro engineers and any one of them would laugh in your face if you said a preamp doesn't add warmth. People buy different preamps because they like the different warmth each one adds. Like I said, if preamps just boosted the level there would be no reason to buy a stand alone preamp in a studio with a mixer. Go to a prto studio and see how many engineers actually use the preamps on the mixer.
    The studios you've been goin to do they have Mackie mixers or somethin? If you are goin to a professional studio, and they are bypassing the mixers preamp on a bunch of tracks then what was the purpose behind them getting that mixer. The studios I go to don't need to bypass the micpre's on the CONSOLES. I like to go to studios that have SSL consoles. I love the sound that comes out of it. The stereo buss compressor is like a must have for a good sound. Now will there be times when you may want to use a preamp by Focusrite or another company most definitely, BUT don't go into a professional studio expecting to see a bunch of mic pre's around. The studio consoles they bought for a reason. It's not jus so that they can control 48 channels and higher on the faders and eq. They also get it for the sound of the micpres, the eqs sounds, and any other onboard feature that they may have wanted from it. Opey you give out a lot of good advice from what I've read so far. I jus happen not to agree wit you on certain things. Like the mbox havin the same micpre as the 192's. Now focusrite does make the micpre which is good. The thing is not only does the mbox have a lower sampling frequency. The parts that are used to make it are also cheaper. That's why if you upped the mbox's ability to be able to sample around 192 it still wouldn't sound as good or clean. Take a look at Mackie and Behringer. Behringer has been sued numerous times by Mackie for copyin their designs of equipment. Then if you take a look at the prices of the pieces of equipment you see quite a bit of a difference. The reason is Behringer uses cheaper parts which makes them able to have a lower price. The quality of Mackie isn't there. The way that Mackie and Behringer relate is the same way that the mbox and the 192's relate. Possibly same design, but cheaper parts. Therefore resulting in a lower quality sound. If that wasn't the case I'd go out and buy 8 more mbox's, open up a studio in my house, and charge everyone $100/hr to record. Remember 44.1 16bit is the standard for an audio cd. Therefore me doin that could be considered logical. Only thing is you want the highest quality you can get. There's no way you can convince me that the mbox has the same micpres as the 192's.

shut up stupid!
    Battle Record
    1-0
    sell the mixer. put the cash toward a preamp.

word....i got the tube MP by art

but saving up for sumthing better around the price range of 200 got any suggetions....i'll spend a little more if i got to

peace

dj_fade_out
    Quote Originally Posted by koss
    word....i got the tube MP by art

but saving up for sumthing better around the price range of 200 got any suggetions....i'll spend a little more if i got to

peace
    Try and save round 600 then get yourself a Platinum Series Focusrite mic pre. It makes a big difference.